Applicant Briefings Scheduled
Idaho Office of Emergency Management
For immediate release May 1, 2017
Contact: Elizabeth Duncan
(208) 258-6595 firstname.lastname@example.org
IOEM to Hold Applicant Briefings in 11 Counties Designated for FEMA Public Assistance Grants
The Idaho Office of Emergency Management (IOEM) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are working together to expedite Public Assistance grants to eligible public entities and certain private nonprofit organizations affected by severe storms and flooding Feb. 5-27, 2017.
IOEM emergency management specialists, with support from FEMA, will begin holding Applicant Briefings this week as a first step in getting assistance dollars to eligible applicants in the 11 counties designated for assistance in President Trump’s April 21 disaster declaration. The Applicant Briefings will include an overview of FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), since additional grants will be available to Idaho under that program as a result of the disaster declaration.
Applicant Briefings are scheduled as follows:
- May 3: Elmore County, 1 p.m., 2255 East 8th North, Mountain Home
- May 4: Washington County, 10 a.m., 256 East Court St., Weiser
- May 9: Gooding County, 9 a.m., 624 Main St., Gooding
- May 9: Lincoln County, 1 p.m., Lincoln County Community Center, 201 South Beverly St., Shoshone
- May 10: Minidoka County, 9 a.m., Wilson Theatre, 610 Fremont St., Rupert
- May 10: Cassia County, 1 p.m., Location TBD
- May 11: Jerome County, 9 a.m., 2151 South Tiger Drive, Jerome
- May 11: Twin Falls County, 1 p.m., Twin Falls Highway District Conference Room, 2620 Kimberly Rd., Twin Falls
- May 17: Franklin County, 1 p.m., Location TBD
- May 18: Jefferson County, 3 p.m., 206 N. Yellowstone Hwy, Rigby
- May 18: Bingham County, 9 a.m., 501 N. Maple, Sheriff’s Conference Room, Blackfoot
Potential applicants have until May 21, 2017, to file a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) with IOEM to initiate a claim under the disaster declaration.
Under the PA and HMGP programs, FEMA reimburses applicants for at least 75 percent of their eligible expenses, while the other 25 percent is the nonfederal share. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which then makes disbursements to the local and tribal jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs.
Under the HMGP program, FEMA and the state of Idaho may provide supplemental financial assistance to state agencies, local and tribal governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to reduce vulnerability to future disasters and promote community resilience.
State disaster recovery information is available on the IOEM website at https://ioem.idaho.gov. More information about FEMA’s Public Assistance program can be found at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit.
More information about hazard mitigation is available at www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigationgrant-program.
Additional information on the federal role in this disaster recovery mission is available at the FEMA disaster-specific website at www.fema.gov/disaster/4310.
# # #
The Idaho Office of Emergency Management is a Division of the Idaho Military Division. The services we provide are to facilitate emergency management in Idaho, and to assist neighboring states. The men and women of this Division are dedicated to their mission of protecting the lives and property of the people of Idaho, as well as preserving the environmental and the economic health of Idaho.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.