Deadline to Submit Requests for Public Assistance
Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security News Release
For immediate release, January 21, 2016
Contact: Elizabeth Duncan (208) 258-6595 or (208) 866-5969
FEMA News Desk: 425-487-4610
Deadline is Friday to Submit Requests for Public Assistance following November Storm
COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho – State agencies – along with local and tribal governments and certain private nonprofit agencies – affected by the Nov. 17, 2015, severe storm in northern Idaho have until Friday to submit the paperwork needed to request reimbursement grants.
Submitting a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) with the Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security (IBHS) is the first step in applying for funds under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Public Assistance program.
President Obama’s Dec. 23, 2015, disaster declaration provides aid under the Public Assistance (PA) program for eligible applicants in Benewah, Bonner, Boundary and Kootenai counties and the Coeur d’Alene Tribe. They have 30 days from the declaration date to submit RPAs.
The program reimburses state and local governments, federally recognized tribes and certain private nonprofit organizations for eligible expenses they incurred in protecting lives and property ahead of and during the storm as well as in cleaning up and repairing afterward.
“Those entities that sustained damages or had emergency expenses because of the November storm are encouraged to submit their requests for assistance by the Friday deadline,” said IBHS Director Brad Richy. “FEMA is working closely with us to help you recover much of your eligible expenses.”
Any applicant or potential applicant seeking information on the RPA procedure or the PA program may call IBHS Recovery Coordinator Jarod Dick at 208-258-6515.
The November 17 storm and straight-line winds left thousands without power, blocked roads with downed trees and other debris and caused significant damage to public infrastructure.
FEMA reimburses applicants for 75 percent of their eligible expenses, while the other 25 percent is the nonfederal share. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which then makes disbursements to the local and tribal jurisdictions and nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.
In addition to Public Assistance grants, additional funds will be available in Idaho under FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). The state has elected to target the four designated counties and the Coeur d’Alene Tribe for HMGP assistance, although grant opportunities may be extended to other entities statewide if any available funds remain.
“Under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program FEMA is providing additional funds to Idaho to help communities implement critical mitigation measures aimed at reducing the risk of loss of life and property in future disasters,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Dolph Diemont of FEMA.
The HMGP, administered by the state, is also a cost-share program, with FEMA providing 75 percent of the funds. This program provides supplemental financial assistance to public entities and certain private nonprofits to reduce the risk to life and property in future disasters.
Potential HMGP applicants must file a Letter of Intent with IBHS by Feb. 8, 2016.
More information about the PA program is available at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-localstate-tribal-and-non-profit and https://bhs.idaho.gov/Pages/Operations/DisasterAssistance/PublicAssistance.aspx.
More information about the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program is available at www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program and https://bhs.idaho.gov/Pages/Operations/DisasterAssistance/HMGP.aspx.
Additional information for the specific disaster, including funds obligated to the state, is available at www.fema.gov/disaster/4246.
# # #
The Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security is a Division of the Idaho Military Division. The services we provide are to facilitate emergency management in Idaho, and to assist neighboring states. The men and women of this Division are dedicated to their mission of protecting the lives and property of the people of Idaho, as well as preserving the environmental and the economic health of Idaho.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.