HMGP deadline


Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security News Release
For immediate release, February 3, 2016
Contact: Elizabeth Duncan (208) 258-6595 or (208) 866-5969
FEMA News Desk: 425-487-4610

February 8 Deadline Approaching in First Step for Grants to Strengthen Communities


Coeur d’Alene, Idaho – The Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security (IBHS), in partnership with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), is seeking applicants wanting grants to help build stronger, safer communities.

As a result of the Dec. 23, 2015, presidential disaster declaration for Idaho, cost-share grants will be available under FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) for approved projects aimed at saving lives and property and promoting community resilience in future disasters.

“The best way to protect ourselves against some of nature’s disastrous consequences is to take action to reduce vulnerabilities in areas we know are prone to damage,” said IBHS Director Brad Richy. “With FEMA’s help, Idaho is supporting smart investments in projects to keep people and communities out of harm’s way. IBHS will prioritize projects designed to reduce the impact of known hazards in Idaho, including improving infrastructure resiliency, and mitigating wildfire and flood risks.”

Projects in the disaster-designated counties of Boundary, Bonner, Benewah and Kootenai, and the Coeur d’Alene Tribe, will be considered first, but HMGP grant opportunities may be extended to entities statewide if all available funds are not committed, Richy said.

To be considered for assistance under the HMGP, state agencies, local and tribal governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations must file a Letter of Intent with IBHS by Monday, February 8. Anyone with questions about the program, eligibility or the application process may contact IBHS Mitigation Section Chief Susan Cleverley at 208-258-6545.

IBHS, as the program administrator, will evaluate applications and then work with FEMA to award grants on a cost-sharing basis. FEMA provides 75 percent of the total costs, while the remaining 25 percent is the nonfederal share. FEMA obligates its share of the funds directly to the state, which awards the money to successful applicants.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program underscores FEMA’s dedication to preparedness,” said Dolph Diemont, federal coordinating officer for the Idaho recovery. “By helping to fund mitigation projects, we not only save lives and safeguard property, we prevent the costly cycle of damage, repairs and then repeat damage.”

More information about the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program is available from FEMA here and from the IBHS here.


# # #

The Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security is a Division of the Idaho Military Division. The services we provide are to facilitate emergency management in Idaho, and to assist neighboring states. The men and women of this Division are dedicated to their mission of protecting the lives and property of the people of Idaho, as well as preserving the environmental and the economic health of Idaho.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.


Original Release