Presidential Disaster Declaration Approved for Idaho Spring Flooding


Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security News Release
For immediate release, July 27, 2010
Contact:  Robert Feeley, (208) 422-3033

Presidential Disaster Declaration Approved for Idaho Spring Flooding


(Boise) The President today approved Governor C.L. “Butch” Otter’s request for a major disaster for Idaho and approved federal aid to supplement State and local recovery efforts in the areas struck by flooding during June 2-10, 2010.  Federal Public Assistance disaster funds now are available to help local, county and state governments rebuild public infrastructure damaged by the flooding in Lewis, Idaho, Adams, Valley, Washington, Payette and Gem counties.

The Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security (BHS) has coordinated teams to inspect disaster-related damage and examine emergency expenses identified by state and local representatives.  These Preliminary Damage Assessments estimated the scope of repair work needed and restoration costs.  For approved projects, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will pay 75 percent of the cost.  The State of Idaho and the local jurisdiction applying for funding of a specific project will share the remaining 25 percent of the cost.  Projects may include debris removal, emergency services and repair or replacement of damaged roads and bridges.  Federal funding also is available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide.  Hazard mitigation projects will help to reduce Idaho’s vulnerability from future disasters.

“The partnerships we build and maintain with local units of government go a long way toward providing the kind of timely and critical information we need to get this assistance,” Governor Otter said. “I want to thank the county folks for collaborating so well with the Bureau of Homeland Security in getting this help where it’s needed most as quickly as possible.”

BHS and FEMA will now establish a Joint Field Office (JFO) in Boise.  The JFO will be staffed with FEMA and BHS officials who will coordinate the federal programs that are available to the impacted counties.  A series of applicant briefings will take place to explain procedures for the counties to secure the federal disaster funding.

“Idaho had seven counties that were significantly affected by the unexpected flooding event during the first part of June,” said BHS Director Brig. Gen. Shawver.  “FEMA has shown its dedication to helping Idaho recover from this event, and with the Presidential Disaster Declaration we now have the tools necessary to repair what was damaged and restore the public infrastructure to its pre-flooding condition.”


Original Release